Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

I saw THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. yesterday morning at the cheap show (my fav screening time 3:) ). Will this movie change your life? No. Will it entertain in a hip, old-school-cool 1960s espionage-comic-bookish (yet intelligent) –– a la Bond's GOLDFINGER-era-slick –– kind of way? Yes!!! I was ready "not" to be all too pleased with this new film from director by Guy Ritchie (which is based on the 60s TV show by the same name), but was pleasantly surprised.  When it hits, the actions is fun and fast, the way Ritchie does it best –– although it's not his calling-card, over-the-top style.  In U.N.C.L.E. he seems more willing to blend into the fabric of the film and story.  But what I think I enjoyed most was how well many of the scenes made me feel like I was actually watching a British-Italian spy flick from the 1960s.  Regarding this, the music played a tremendous part.  There are the well-placed period pop songs, but mostly the retro-vibe kicked in when Daniel Pemberton's spot-on score was in play –– very smooth, hip, slick, and quirky-cool.  Bottom line is, THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. is a fun popcorn movie and a neat little trip down memory lane for anyone old enough to remember the spoofy spy flicks from the 60s.  Check it out when you're in that have-a-martini, shaken-not-stirred sort-of mood.

(And I will now accept the Writers Guild Award for Most-Hyphenates-Used-In-One-Paragraph. ...I thank the Guild.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kMAYU5lII4

No comments:

Post a Comment